Sunday, June 14, 2015

if you needed me

I would come to you.

We were driving home from the Country on a cold Sunday night in January of '97, listening to Vince Scelsa on WNEW 102.7.  Vince always spun music that really never received any airplay on New York radio, he would play obscure tracks that I never heard, musicians that I did not know of, artists that he admired, up and coming groups, the mix of  music he played held sway over me and was always contributing to my eclectic listening repertoire.  Vince introduced me to Townes.  On this particular night he was playing homage to Townes Van Zandt, who had then just passed away.  While he played his music, I became enthralled.  Townes sang with some of the best during his all too brief life and career, inspired others, and his music was covered by some of my favorites.  From Townes I started to listen, really listen to EmmyLou Harris, Merle Haggard, and of course, Willy Nelson.  "Snowin' on Raton" will always be a favorite.  'If I needed you" would become my treasure.  It was how I felt about them and still do.  I wish I could take it all away so that they are never hurt or in pain.  I would gladly take and carry all their pain and burdens.  To make their lives nothing but sunshine and bliss.  I would do

I'd swim the seas for to ease your pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment