Monday, January 13, 2014

The Flatiron Building

I still have not put the ceramic Christmas trees away.  I don't think that I truly want to.   They cast the nicest light and they make me feel nostalgic.  Some of the trees have been made by Gabriella and I at Nora's in Keyport.  Others were made by my Mother and Kiki.  I look online to see if there are different shapes and sizes.  I have an eclectic mix of white, pearl, and green ones.  I think that I will make a blue one next. 

We all have things that bring us joy just as we have things that bring us sorrow.  Ever since I was a kid my parents always took us to Manhattan.  We would go either Saturdays or on Sundays.  Most of the time it was on Sundays.  We would go to Chambers Street to the end lot stores, or to the PushCart.  Then on to Weber's across the street, eventually to Canal Street.  I would look up at the lofts and see in my mind's eye me living in them.  The cross streets off of Canal were my favorites.  You could look up and see the great space.  The inside of the buildings were fantastic.

I don't remember when I saw it or when I found out about it, but it has always been my favorite building....The Flatiron.....it has drawn me in.  My parents would drive past it so I could look at it.  I think that they enjoyed my fondness of it.  I don't know what it is, but something about that building stirs me.  My Dad would hold or park the bus in different places so that we could get to look at it from the different sides to get different views.  The building just holds me in awe.   I have never been inside of it, but when I do....



My parents have given me a couple of prints of the building..


This is one of my favorites...
I had the good fortune of having to pass it on my way from Penn Station to Dr. Lee's office on 20th and 1st Ave.  I have taken quite a few pictures my self and made them my wallpaper on my phone and computer.  I even have been lucky enough to be given a little metal statue of it.  Finally, after languishing in the basement in the box, I have put up and placed my very own Flatiron, a gift from Kathy and Mike.....


Now it sits on the peninsula, glowing happily, making me feel warm and fuzzy.

These things that others have done has made me feel cared about, understood, and mostly loved.  They knew that I had a thing for the building and made it possible for me to be indulged. 

Thanks so very much....

1 comment: